Thursday, January 20, 2011

Cookies

Cookies. Cookies are good. And the best one's are homemade. I make a chocolate chip cookie not even my health nut husband can resist. And my sister has a cookie business that puts other cookies to shame. With this in mind and the goal to avoid processed food as much as possible, why would I bother with a packaged cookie? Well because I need an acceptable quick fix cookie in my medium food arsenal. You know, just in case. And I think Kashi TLC Soft-Baked Cookies fit the bill.

I decided to pick up a box while at the store today because they were on sale and I needed a little something to get me through until lunch. The box is well designed. As you can see from the picture, it has a big yummy cookie on the front. Makes you think the cookies are big, like those Grandma's Brand cookies but they're not. They're not the smallest cookie around but smaller than expected. Which isn't a problem just a bummer for me, ha ha.

Putting aside the superior taste of a homemade cookie or one from a reputable bakery, these cookies are decent and a more "healthful" option. They contain whole grains and provide 3 grams of fiber and only 8 grams of sugar. My favorite flavored yogurt contains 16 grams of sugar. I would definitely recommend these as a back up to a favorite granola bar or other on-the-go snack.

For some reason, I've always trusted the Kashi brand. Could be a case of brilliant marketing I suppose but what I've read about the company so far, I like. Reminds me of what I like about Amy's brand. To read what I did, click here. I do believe that all packaged/processed foods are NOT created equal. I ultimately think we should make the bulk of what we eat ourselves, especially treats. But sometimes our lives beg for a convenience or two and being able to grab a packaged snack or meal occasionally that I can feel okay about is huge some days - like today.

Finally, price. The box I bought today cost me $2.79 on sale. You get 8 (smallish) cookies in a box. The price is average, I think. About the same as a box of granola bars.

Ingredients (Oatmeal Dark Chocolate): Kashi Seven Whole Grains & Sesame Blend (Whole: Hard Red Winter Wheat, Oats, Rye, Triticale, Barley, Long Grain Brown Rice, Buckwheat, Sesame Seeds), Dark Chocolate Chips (Evaporated Cane Juice, Chocolate Liquor, Cocoa Butter, Soya Lecithin, Ground Vanilla Bean), Whole Rolled Oats, Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Honey, Evaporated Cane Juice Crystals, Brown Rice Syrup, Chicory Root Fiber, Oat Fiber, Vegetable Glycerin, Natural Flavors, Sodium Bicarbonate, Soy Lecithin, Salt, Mixed Tocopherols (Natural Vitamin E) For Freshness, Monocalcium Phosphate, Walnuts, Peanut Flour, Nonfat Dry Milk, Eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment