Thursday, July 1, 2010

Another good snack find

I've bought my fair share of energy, nutrition, snack or whatever bars. Most have a lot of ingredients and target a different nutritional need such as protein, fiber, energy, vitamins, etc. A few years ago I was stuck on Luna bars and at the time because they were only 180 calories. But when my focus changed from calories and convenience to nutritional benefit, I didn't eat them as often and eventually gave them up entirely.

But as always, this being a medium food lifestyle, I do occasionally have these types of bars on hand, for myself. And although my son usually eats his cereal bars, if he spots mom's snack, he wants one so the one I choose is even more important.

I read about Larabars in a magazine recently and thought I'd give them a try. Upon finding them, I was pleasantly surprised to see the ingredients list - nothing but real food. A-typical for a nutrition bar, in my experience anyhow. I bought three flavors: Cherry Pie, Peanut Butter Cookie and Apple Pie. I also realized Larabar makes JamFrankas, a bar for kids that my son has had. Here are the ingredients in the bars I just bought:

Cherry Pie: Dates, almonds, unsweetened cherries
Peanut Butter Cookie: Peanuts, dates, salt
Apple Pie: Dates, almonds, unsweetened apples, walnuts, raisins and cinnamon

I have found my bar! I can't explain how happy it makes me to see a convenience food that is made up of, well, food. I feel good about eating it and feel even better about sharing it with my son. When you get a chance, give 'em a try. $1.29 each.

No comments:

Post a Comment