Sunday, August 1, 2010

Homemade Uncrustables

Everybody, at least people with young children or people that love PB&J sandwiches, knows what an Uncrustable is. I discovered them when my first niece hit the PB&J age. At first glance (eight or so years ago), I thought "how clever." And being a recovering calorie counter (calories over nutrition that is), I started buying them for myself. Super convenient 210 calorie snack. I never thought twice about what was in them until Gav started to dig PB&J sandwiches. Here's what's in the Smucker's Uncrustables (Strawberry):

BREAD: Unbleached whole wheat flour, water, wheat gluten, high fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, contains 2% or less of: salt, yeast, dough conditioners (distilled monoglycerides, sodium stearoyl lactylate, datem, enzymes [with amylase, lipase, ascorbic acid, calcium peroxide, azodicarbonamide, wheat starch]). PEANUT BUTTER: Peanuts, dextrose, sugar, contains 2% or less of: partially and fully hydrogenated vegetable oils (soybean and/or cottonseed and/or rapeseed), salt, molasses, mono and giglycerides (palm and/or soybean oils). STRAWBERRY JAM: Strawberries, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, sugar, contains 2% or less of: pectin, citric acid, potassium sorbate (preservative).

Highly processed junk. As convenient as they are, I'd rather Gavin (and eventually Logan) not eat them. That's not to say I don't think the little circles of PB&J aren't adorable, because I do, so I decided to make my own.


(the stage. yes, that's a wine glass)


(the filling)


(cutting out the shape)


(the cute little PB&J)

I was pretty impressed but did run into a few issues. First, I realized a tablespoon of peanut butter and a tablespoon of jam was too much. The perfect amount ended up being a 1/2 tablespoon of each. Next, getting it out of my makeshift cutter (aka wine glass) was a little less than easy. Finally, upon flipping it over, the bread was torn in a few spots. So I decided to break out the rolling pin and flatten the bread slices first.


(what a big difference)


(the final product)

Even though my "uncrustables" don't have the cute little crimp pattern on the edge, they deliver in taste and nutrition. LaLa's Portable PB&J ingredients:

BREAD: Stone ground whole wheat flour, filtered water, honey, cracked wheat, sea salt, fresh yeast, whey (milk protein). PEANUT BUTTER: Dry roasted peanuts, salt. ORGANIC REDUCED SUGAR APRICOT PRESERVES: Organic apricots, organic sugar, water, fruit pectin, citric acid, calcium chloride.

I put each one in a small freezer bag and stacked them in the freezer. Give them 30 minutes on the counter (in the bag) and they're ready to eat.

Overall, these are a cinch to make and fun too. I'll definitely be making more. I'll also pick up a large cookie cutter to make that part a little easier. :)

4 comments:

  1. Genius! Time to make our own and pass up that uncrustables box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mandi! They're really fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is great! to get the crimp pattern around the edges just use the end of a fork and press it all the way around. :-)

    ReplyDelete