Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Reflecting with chorizo


Today is my birthday. I woke up feeling loved. How could I not being sandwiched between my boys and being handed a cup of coffee in bed by the hubby? Of course, birthdays aren't what they once were. You know the "It's my birthday, I'm gonna do whatever I want all day then go out for drinks and fun with my friends all night" kinda thing? It's become more like this:

Hubby: Good morning, happy birthday honey. Love you.
Me: Thanks honey.
Hubby: I still need a sandwich for lunch... I'd love some avocado on it. (Walks into bathroom to take shower)
Gavin: (After being reminded sweetly by daddy and ushered out of the bathroom) Happy birthday mommy!
Me: Awwww, thank you baby.
Gavin: I think you should get a puppy for your birthday.
Me: Oh really? I'm not sure the cats would appreciate that but it's a great suggestion.
Gavin: Mommy, I want cookies.
Me: Okay sweetie, I'll see what I can do (as I unhinge my right side from my sleeping baby and head to the kitchen to make that sandwich.)

Although birthdays are no longer any different from any other day, I wouldn't change it for the world. I have a beautiful family - a gift I always wished and hoped for.

Feeling a bit nostalgic even amongst the ordinary tasks, I whipped up some scrambled eggs and chorizo! It just so happened we picked up a package of turkey chorizo over the weekend. Growing up with a Mexican mama, chorizo and eggs was a very common breakfast. I can still smell it... the aroma coming into the living room while laying on the floor in front of the TV. I can recall the smell of all of my mom's signature meals, they were that good. Of course, the chorizo and eggs of my childhood was certainly not turkey chorizo nor local eggs. It was pork, from well, who knows where and eggs from Lucky's. Lady Lee brand, I think?

So how did my breakfast compare to my mom's? Minus being made by my mom (makes everything taste better) it was a darn good meal. The turkey chorizo was made by Diestel, a family turkey ranch in Sonora, CA. It was very flavorful and nailed the spices and look of traditional chorizo. If you like chorizo, I highly recommend trying this. It is lower in fat than traditional sausage and is made by a farm you can feel great about. Price: $3.99

Ingredients: Ground turkey, spices, wine vinegar, sea salt, granulated garlic and onion powder.

What dishes did you love as a kid? Have you recreated it and/or made a healthier version? I'd love to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment