Monday, August 22, 2011

A Pie for Mikey

The boys helping me make #apieformikey
I am but a speck, if that, in the food blogging community and I am behind on this request but I am compelled to still show up for Jennie from In Jennie's Kitchen and her family. Jennie's husband died suddenly of a heart attack on Sunday, August 7th. In her post "for mikey" she simply said this:

"For those asking what they can do to help my healing process, make a peanut butter pie this Friday and share it with someone you love. Then hug them like there's no tomorrow because today is the only guarantee we can count on."

I didn't read of the news until over a week after Mikey passed away. And since reading about it, I haven't been able to shake the sadness I feel for her and her daughters. My heart breaks for Jennie. I do not know the feeling of losing my husband only of almost losing him. The "almost" was enough to turn my world upside down and permanently change my soul. My husband beat the beast that threatened to take his life, stage four non-hodgkins lymphoma. Although we were forever changed, we had the opportunity to repair most of the wounds it inflicted on us as individuals and as a couple. The heart attack that hit Mikey, did not extend such opportunity.

For Jennie and her family, my boys and I have made a pie for Mikey. As we enjoy a piece this evening together, the Perillo family will be in our thoughts. May time be kind to Jennie and her daughters and send a sense of peace to them ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment