Sunday, August 14, 2011

Recipe: Chicken (Tortilla) Soup

There was a sale last week on roast chicken at Whole Foods that I could not pass on: $4.99 each, regularly $9.99 each. I bought two. I figured one would make a nice and easy dinner as is and the other I could use for sandwiches, quesadillas and/or soup. And I made all three. I added Annie's BBQ sauce to the chicken for BBQ chicken quesadillas, I made a simple chicken salad for a sandwich and, my favorite item out of the bunch, a take on chicken tortilla soup.

The soup was easy to make and resulted in a flavorful and filling meal. I adapted this recipe from here. I chose not to use fried tortilla strips or chips but rather serve with warm corn tortillas on the side, more my style. I also added corn and cumin and skipped the cheese. I also didn't top with cilantro only because I did not have any. I liked this soup very much and will definitely make it again. I'm happy to have something new to serve with the burrito and taco dinners I so often make.


Chicken (Tortilla) Soup
Serves four.

1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1/2 Medium Onion, diced
3 Garlic Cloves, minced
1 box (32 oz.) Chicken Broth
1 can (14.5 oz.) Fire-Roasted Diced Tomatoes
1 cup Corn, canned or frozen
1/2 teaspoon Cumin
1 1/2 cups Roast Chicken, shredded or diced
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 Avocado
1 Lime
Corn Tortillas, grilled, steamed or fried (optional)

Heat oil in soup/stock pot over medium/medium high. Add onions, saute until soft. Add garlic and saute for about a minute more. Add broth, diced tomatoes, corn and cumin, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add chicken and simmer for 15 minutes or until chicken is heated through, add salt and pepper to taste.

Garnish each serving with 1/4 avocado and a squeeze or two of lime. I served mine with warm corn tortillas on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment